Wednesday 1 April 2015

Evaluation Question 2


Here is a diagram of how different features from each product has been included in other products. I decided to draw this diagram to show the links to each product and show how I have tried to make each product cohesion to one another:



How I made sure my product would be effective:

Font Styles-




When making my ancillary texts I decided to use the same font and colour in my magazine poster advertisement to in my digipak. This would show continuity between each product and when put together make a strong promotional package. In total I used 4 different styles of font. I used four types because when constructing my product, it worked out better this way.  I used the Mount font style from dafont.com for the album name for both my ancillary products as I thought this would be cohesive and show that both products match and therefore promote one another. I also used it for the release date on my magazine advertisement as it would make it stand out and works well together with the alum name and its release. I then used Birds of Paradise for the name of my artist on both my products again for cohesion and because I thought that the hand written style gave it a more formal approach. This would appeal to any audience not just my target audience. I also used it for the promotion of my single for my music video as I thought it would make it distinguish and also because it would stand out from the rest of the type styles in its position where it was located on my magazine poster advert. The last font I used from dafont.com was Optimus Princeps for the track list and information about the new single released. I thought it would be fitting to use this style for these sections as the text is very sharp and defined and therefore makes it stand out from the other soft text styles that I used. I then used the copyright information and information about where my product is available in the default text style on photoshop because I felt that it didn't need to stand out as such but only provide the information needed for the audience. I think that the text fonts I have used are effective because I have only used three main different types of styles and used these to complement different areas of information. I also think that it is affective because there isn't too many font styles so they don't conflict each other.

Colour Scheme - 



When coming up with my colour scheme I decided to look at the website colourcombos.com. This website was good because it gave me a range of different colours that I could look through. At first I was really unsure what combinations to look through so I decided to look at neutral colours because I already knew that I wanted artist to be in black and white on the front of my digipak design. I ended up coming up with the colours white and gold. White because it is the opposite of black and therefore will stand out against the colour, and gold because it appeared on most of the combinations on the colourcombos.com website. I also liked the colour gold because its quite a royal colour and feminine. The colour also stands out against the black background. Amongst my products I used the same colour scheme through both my ancillary texts to show continuity throughout my ancillary texts. I also did it so that when the products were viewed together, it wouldn't conflict and would looked like they all belonged together. By using only two colours, I think it makes my product effective because the writing is subtle and still stands out against the text. It also makes it look less busy and more professional because by using more than 2 colours, it can make a product to busy to look at due to the conflicting colours.

Conventions







Genre Conventions - 

To make sure that all of my products where successful I had to research the conventions of the genre I had chosen. This meant looking on Youtube at pop genre music videos and what commonly appears in these videos. Id did this because I wanted my music video to resemble one of a pop genre as much as possible so that it would attract the right target audience. At the beginning of my blog, I looked at a number of different music videos such as Katy Perry - This is How we Do and Duke Dumount - I Got you for ideas on framing, editing, mise-en-scene and whether the music video had a narrative of performance element. I did this so that I would know what would be expected of a music video of the genre I had chosen. I also didn't want to make a product which would appeal to a different genre type that what I intended. As well as looking at music videos, I also looked at different pop genre magazine posters and digipaks to see what how their products where laid out. I specifically looked at the main image and how the picture was framed so that I could use this in my own product. By looking at what is expected of a pop genre product, it helped me look at ideas on how I could display my product so that not only would it conform to a pop genre but also look pleasing to look at. Individually I think that my products are effective because I have looked into what is expected of a pop genre product to look at, and included as much of that information as possible. 

Product Conventions - 

Other than looking at genre conventions, I also looked at the layout and what you would expect to see on each of those products. For starters I looked at narrative, performance and abstract music videos which are conventional features of a music video. With this in mind, I then chose which one would best suit the genre I had chose and which song I was going to use. With that information I could then go onto what I wanted my music video to be about and whether a narrative, abstract or performance section would suit this. For my ancillary text I looked more into what information would be included if I was to make my own product. I looked at many different examples of poster advertisements which I knew I would need to include in my product for it to resemble one of a real product. From this research it has made my product effective because by looking at the design, construction and existing products, I have produced my own products that look professional and conform to the genre that I have chosen.





Below my deconstruction of my music video. As you can see I have looked at the four areas that are key components in producing a music video. Like what I did in my research, I have picked out areas and talked about why they might of been used and how it is effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment